Sunday, April 6, 2014

Bread of Life Section: Courage and Faith in Trials

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy. 



I've had one of the most difficult weeks...and I have to share this. I'm not really sharing any details of my trial here on the blog. Those who are close to me know what our family is facing.   Being brave doesn't mean you're  not afraid. When we know we don't want to face a challenge, but we know we don't have any other options, that is where we can rely on Faith or we can shrink in fear.
Surviving is about three things: Gratitude,Courage,  and Faith. 

Gratitude in All things...even trials. I'm not always perfect at this, but I have been a lot better this week at recognizing my blessings daily. Yup. It is easy to look at someone else's life and see their blessings. I for one have been guilty of not remembering some of the most basic blessings in the past. You know...family close, living parents and siblings, children, the ability to breath, see, read, speak, feed my family, tie my shoes, have shoes...  
Stream of consciousness gratitude prayers are the best. Do you ever do these? The prayer I uttered on Saturday after the BBQ festival was, "Thanks for my bishops wife for letting me have deer meat from her freezer.  Oh she's so cute. Oh...Thanks for bishop for shooting a deer (yeah, if you were not at the roadkill cooking demo that won't make sense to you).  Thanks for a car that made it to the event...Oh it is so cute, even if it has stains on the seat.  Thanks for deodorant that worked and great warm weather...and that I didn't have to wear "Daisy Dukes"...because those are not cute (on me).   Thanks for that darling lady who drove me in a golf cart to my car so I didn't have to carry all my load by myself.  Help her get some sleep tonight. She was working hard.  Oh. Thanks for gas working on the grill and for the oven turning on.  Thanks for me not cutting off a finger. Thanks for friends who support me and give me courage at the demo.  They were so fun.  Thanks for steady hands and a cheerful heart..." It went on for a long time. It went far.


Do we really need to understand everything?
I've had one of those weeks where I've been frustrated. I don't understand the trial. I don't understand what I am supposed to be doing more...and then I had this thought come to me, "If you really trust Heavenly Father like you say you do then it really doesn't matter what you understand right now about this trial. It only matters that you understand that God is with you." 

You know what else?
 Rely on those who believe in you and the power of love during your trials. Tender mercies of thoughtful words can build faith enough to carry on when nothing else seems to touch our pain. I love that my mom cried with me on the phone this week.  I loved getting a random card in the mail from her that said, "Remember you are dearly beloved of God. Your father and I pray for you daily and hourly." It was in a yellow envelope, like a ray of sunshine from above.




Be the voice of courage to others.
Auntie Em told me today chatting on facebook, "Have courage to ask for help, and have courage that the Lord will open the doors for your life... when you knock. I am so proud of you! Your courage to move forward and WORK SO HARD (you are knocking pretty steadily!) is awesome. Because the alternative is to despair and shrink away. And that is not an option. I love you tons, turkey buns!"




Do the small things.  So my challenge to you and myself is to stand up for what needs to stand up for and do what needs to done. It sounds simple, but sometimes it all that we can do. Sigh at the end of a light day. Whisper your prayers to the Lord...He hears you even when you can't speak and there doesn't seem to be a voice for the blessings you need.  Have courage to get up in the morning and try again. God is aware of you.

There it is.

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really needed a pick-me-up today, so thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and beliefs. Good luck in the difficulties you are facing. I know our Father in Heaven hears and answers prayers.

Olyveoil said...

Thank you so much for sharing and encouragement. Our family has been through one of the worst times ever and still reliving it daily. Just last night my pastor also said we just need to remember that God is our rock.

Our 2 year old grand baby died and it's just been very sad here ever since. But the one thing we do know is that God has our backs and he'll carry us through this.

Thank you, again, for sharing. You are a true inspiration for me.

God bless you,

Debbie Andrews

Unknown said...

This blog post is profound. It is something that I can relate to & whole heartedly testify is true.
Three years ago my baby girl passed away due to kidney failure. Forcing myself to acknowledge gratitude for the things & people I have was the only therapy I had to combat the depression, anger, & negativity that so easily dominated me.