Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Homemade 9 grain Tortilla Mix




 Since I'm teaching a class this morning at Honeyville Farms on how to make many different kinds of tortillas, I thought I'd share this quick and easy recipe for 9 grain tortillas here on the blog! I realized that though I had the sprouted wheat tortillas, the Corn Masa Tutorialhomemade corn tortilla tutorial, and the Flour Tortilla Tutorial, I had never done a basic multi-grain tortilla here for folks to enjoy. I'm sorry about that.  I am! There's no excuse. Plus,  I live in the Southwestern USA...and we eat a lot of Mexican food. Many of  my dearest friends are here from Mexico and we share some good love, good food and good laughs! One of those dear friends named Alba taught me how to make tortillas in the traditional Mexican style. It's a little different than the way I grew up but they always turn out tender, flaky and never need extra flour on the counter top to keep them from sticking! The secret is boiling the water and having it boiling when you add it to the dry mix. That's a big secret.  It never fails however...that my life as a baker ends up with me making a lot of dough balls. How is that? 

Chef Tess 9 Grain Tortilla Mix
Mix ingredients:
3 cups Mountain Mills Whole Wheat Flour
2 cups 9 grain flour (it can be made by running 9 grain mix through a grain mill on the finest flour setting)
1 cup organic Spectrum shortening OR powdered shortening
1 T baking powder
1T real salt 

To make the mix: Combine dry ingredients. If you use the organic shortening, you need to cut it into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender or a stiff wire whisk until it's in small pea-like sized pieces. 
Yields 2 mixes, 3 cups each. Each mix will make 8, 10 inch tortillas. 

To Prepare: Bring 1 cup of water to a boil. Put tortilla mix in a heat-proof bowl and pour boiling water into dry mix. Stir with a spoon until well combined. Let dough sit 5 minutes and then knead by hand until supple (about 1 minute). You will not need flour on your counter top. Boiling the water will partially cook the starches and cause the dough to be more workable and is the most traditional method for making flour tortillas. 

Preheat a griddle while you are rolling out the tortillas, about 3 minutes. Cook the tortillas on one side and then turn over.
 Place in a covered pot or tortilla warmer to keep them moist an pliable. 
 Enjoy!


There you go! Make some homemade tortillas! 9 grain tortilla mix Printable Recipe. If you missed the class, you can get the Printable Class Notes. Love. Love. Love.

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

4 comments:

Holly said...

I am really excited to try this! I guess I've always thought you had to have a tortilla press to be able to make them! Thanks for the post!

PV Panels Reading said...

Thanks for posting this, It is never something I have ever considered making myself but after reading I definitely will give it a go! Thank you.

Colleen said...

I saw on Honeyville Farms website that you were giving a class. Do you have classes often in the valley? I live in Payson and am "wowed" by your blog posts. I would love to attend some of your classes. I've been gathering ingredients to make dehydrated meals in canning jars :) Thanks for all the information I've been gleaning from your blog!

~Colleen

Chef Tess said...

Colleen, Yes if you go to the top of my blog here, there is a tab that lists all the upcoming free classes. I love teaching. It's my heart! Thank you for you sweet words. Xoxo!!